I Can Hardly Wait to Grow Old! -blog
March 27, 2018|
by Tom Allen
On April 14, 2010, at the age of 57, my wife and I were told that she had young onset Alzheimer’s. We totally restructured our lives.
- Selling our home and moving into independent senior living
- Entering Julie into an adult day care program
- Leaving my employment to reduce stress and be more available – living as if I were semi-retired.
- Eventually moving Julie into a memory care group home
We have been forced all along to age more quickly than most persons our age – with all of its joys and challenges. It has led me to reflect on my own experiences with aging, and to learn from many others.
Come and join us for a workshop, “I Can Hardly Wait to Grow Old” on Saturday, April 21 from 9:00a.m.-11:00a.m. Together, we will explore the spirituality of aging – the practice of finding God in all things:
- Letting go
- Forgiveness and compassion for self and others
- Gratitude regardless of external circumstances
- Embracing diminishment and limitation
- Finding role models for aging fully alive
- Uncovering the gifts that come with growing old
Together, we will create and experience a daily practice of gratitude.